Medical Billing Forum

NPI Numbers => NPI Numbers => Topic started by: glatzp39 on February 17, 2018, 04:19:59 PM

Title: NPI TAX IDs
Post by: glatzp39 on February 17, 2018, 04:19:59 PM
I have been in private practice for awhile but always with other groups.  5 years ago I went off on my own and started my own mental health counseling business. I established it (the business) as an LLC using my individual EIN
Using an individual EIN number and an individual NPI number. After 5 years, and in-network with up to 20 insurance/EAP's companies I am moving to change the individual practice into a group practice adding another licensed therapist.
I'm unsure if I need to establish a new group EIN tax number AND a new NPI - 2 GROUP number.  Or just an NPI or a new tax EIN.
Please help!
Title: Re: NPI TAX IDs
Post by: Michele on February 19, 2018, 10:13:04 AM
Since you established an LLC with and EIN you should be able to use that as your group legal business name, EIN & NPI.  I'm surprised you used your individual NPI for the LLC though.  I would have thought Medicare would have required you to get a type II NPI for that.  But we have providers who hire others and have their benefits reassigned to them under their SSN and individual NPI.