Author Topic: Billing surgery charges for chronic pain management  (Read 1860 times)

Alice Scott

  • Global Moderator
  • Full Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 209
    • Solutions Medical Billing
Billing surgery charges for chronic pain management
« on: March 02, 2008, 05:12:33 AM »
Hi Alice,
I have a prospective client but he is an anesthesiologist who does surgery for chronic pain management. My question is, would his charges be billed using CPT codes (CMS 1500) or ICD9 codes (UB 04).

Hi Janine,

   The only time that you use a UB04 form is if you are billing for facility charges and then you would bill using rev codes.  When you are billing professional services which is what the anesthesiologist would have, you would bill on a CMS form using both CPT (procedure codes) and ICD9 (diagnosis codes).  (ICD9 codes are used on both the CMS & the UB04 forms.)
Hope that helps,

Alice & Michele


Sign Up for our FREE Medical Billing Newsletter
Get a 10% discount on Medical Billing Products by using Coupon Code: 10OFF