Author Topic: consultation on behalf of another person  (Read 1204 times)


  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 1
consultation on behalf of another person
« on: August 14, 2009, 04:20:04 PM »

We are trying to determine how to handle the situation when a person, usually a family member, comes in to talk to the Doctor regarding the other persons care/condition. For example a child on behalf of an elderly parent. Do you bill this under the patient or the person who came in? If it is under the patient, who is responsbile for any copay or balance the insurance does not pay? We have called provider relations for several companies and they don't know.


  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4356
    • One Stop Resources & Networking for Medical Billers
Re: consultation on behalf of another person
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 06:21:59 PM »
What type of provider? Is this mental health? need to know the specialty and type of provider (MD, PHD, LCSW.. etc) I'm also assuming that the proper authorizations have been completed if it's not a minor child.
Linda Walker
Practice Managers Resource & Networking Community
One Stop Resources, Education and Networking for Medical Billers