Author Topic: check made out to wrong person  (Read 1360 times)


  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 78
check made out to wrong person
« on: December 21, 2009, 12:01:04 PM »
this is actually a tax/banking question, but if an insurance reimbursement check is made out to an individual provider instead of the group, can the ck be signed over by the provider to the group?  Would the individual pay the taxes on it?


  • Global Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4946
    • Solutions Medical Billing
Re: check made out to wrong person
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 06:03:52 AM »
You should call the carrier and ask how the claim was processed.  If it was done under the individual's ss# then the provider will receive a 1099 from the insurance and be responsible for the taxes.

Sign Up for our FREE Medical Billing Newsletter
Get a 10% discount on Medical Billing Products by using Coupon Code: 10OFF


  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4356
    • One Stop Resources & Networking for Medical Billers
Re: check made out to wrong person
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 08:56:34 AM »
No matter what the situation, if the pay to the order of field is wrong I sent it back with documentation and request them to re-do it, if I need to I will submit a W9 copy to them as well. I'd just rather have all my ducks in a row.
Linda Walker
Practice Managers Resource & Networking Community
One Stop Resources, Education and Networking for Medical Billers