Business License and ID??!!

Medical Billing
2 (66.7%)
Home based billing
1 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Author Topic: Business License and ID  (Read 1982 times)


  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 38
Business License and ID
« on: December 27, 2009, 05:06:01 PM »
Ok I have owned my billing company sense April of this year. When getting it started I asked our local offices out here in San Antonio, Texas if I needed any business licenses or ID's. I was told as long as no clients would be coming to my home that I didn't need one. I just want to make sure that was the correct info. Does anyone out there know?? All I have is a DBA, and an EIN.


  • Global Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4946
    • Solutions Medical Billing
Re: Business License and ID
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 08:35:31 AM »
I don't know for TX.  Who told you no?  And why are you questioning it?  Did you have something that made you doubt the info? 

Sign Up for our FREE Medical Billing Newsletter
Get a 10% discount on Medical Billing Products by using Coupon Code: 10OFF


  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4356
    • One Stop Resources & Networking for Medical Billers
Re: Business License and ID
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 08:31:04 AM »
It sounds like you were only informed of the answer no due to zoning reasons (parking, business/commercial , residential, etc)  I don't know of any state that does NOT require you to have some sort of business registration.
Linda Walker
Practice Managers Resource & Networking Community
One Stop Resources, Education and Networking for Medical Billers


  • Guest
Re: Business License and ID
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 08:41:02 AM »
i tried to look it up, the state of texas website sucks


  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 90
Re: Business License and ID
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 10:08:22 AM »
I've been doing mental health billing in my home for three years, and was told I didn't need any type of licensing or id......does someone know something different?  Sorry forgot to say I'm in MA
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 10:41:05 AM by kwardbilling »


  • Guest
Re: Business License and ID
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 06:56:45 PM »
in NC i had to have a HOP (housing occupational permit) and a license. I cant speak for any other state. I would surely contact the city office I lived in and be SPECIFIC. "do I need a license or permit to operate my own business from my home" I believe ALL states have some time of legislation regarding that. I can't see any state allowing revenue to be made without having a piece of the pie in a form of an annual license. Just doesn't make Uncle Sam sense to me

Steve Verno CMBS, CEMCS

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 119
Re: Business License and ID
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 06:27:51 PM »
Where I live, the State required me to register with the Division of Corporations.  The local gubment required me to have an occupational license. 

My brother who lives south of me had to do both and get permission of his homeowners association to work out of his home. He didnt do this and lost his home to the HOA through a foreclosure hearing in court.  He;s waiting for the eviction notice from the Sherrif.  Its a matter of time before he is homeless. He lost his job working out of his home.
I'l have a double chubby chuck, a mexicali chilibarb, and two cherry cokes
Left hand Blue, Right Leg Green
You got your peanut butter on my milk chocolate.
Dont cut the blue wire! 
I love spam.