Author Topic: substance abuse/ mental health  (Read 1142 times)


  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 210
substance abuse/ mental health
« on: February 07, 2009, 06:39:02 PM »
Hi Michele,

Is billing for substance abuse / mental health the same cpt codes and diagnosis codes as  medical billing.
and if you are billing for a couple for counseling do you bill separately.
margemib  ::)
Margie Finlay CMRS


  • Global Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4922
    • Solutions Medical Billing
Re: substance abuse/ mental health
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 07:10:08 PM »
Mental health billing has a range of cpt codes from 90801-90853 and the diagnoses range from 296.** - 303.**.  But it is very similar to regular billing.  Substance abuse is mental health but in NY state it must be in an OASAS facility.  If it is a facility then the billing is different (usually done on a UB04 form).

If you are billing for a couple and the diagnosis is marital problems, you bill under one of the patients, and use the code for family therapy with patient present and a diagnosis of marital problems.  Most insurances do not cover it.  However, if you are billing for a couple but the diagnosis is something other than marital problems then you would bill under the one that the diagnosis applies to and again bill as family therapy.

Sign Up for our FREE Medical Billing Newsletter
Get a 10% discount on Medical Billing Products by using Coupon Code: 10OFF