Author Topic: process to refund old patient credit  (Read 2878 times)


  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 1
process to refund old patient credit
« on: December 13, 2011, 07:15:49 AM »
I read an article that suggested that patient's with credits on their accounts should receive an inquiry letter first, asking them if they want the refund? Ask the patient to return a form with verifiable information. That after a 60 day period after the letter was sent that the credit can be obsorbed into the practice. the letter states the patient has 60 days to reply. Asks for updated address info.

The practice I recently started working on has a large number of patient credits and some are quite old. I have been processing them, but have had several returned for bad address. Is this a viable way of making sure patients get the refund and not spend time processing refunds that will be returned for wrong address, or no forwarding address.

If this is not a good way to proceed, can you suggest something?


  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4357
    • One Stop Resources & Networking for Medical Billers
Re: process to refund old patient credit
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 04:13:58 PM »
My clients have a cutoff, for account refunds / credit's beyond 1 year old we do send out a letter informing them of the credit and ask them to complete the bottom part of the letter and mail back.  For those less than a year old we go ahead and just process the refund's.  this is for mainly cleanup. IN GENERAL once we have a patient with credit..we send the credit/refund BACK as soon as it's caught so that we don't have to worry about this procedure, but I do have clients that get too relaxed with this.
Linda Walker
Practice Managers Resource & Networking Community
One Stop Resources, Education and Networking for Medical Billers


  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 625
  • Live Life and Love God
Re: process to refund old patient credit
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 10:54:02 AM »
we always contact the patient to let them know there is a refund due them, no matter how old the account.  if we are unable to contact them, we will send a refund out to them and if it comes back to us, then we have to submit to the state.