Author Topic: Billing for an abnormal pap  (Read 3547 times)


  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 5
Billing for an abnormal pap
« on: April 23, 2012, 09:03:36 AM »
Hello, My physician is a PCP and does annual paps.  We have a patient that had an abnormal pap and had to come back for another pap test.  Can I bill for a second pap or is there a code for an abnormal pap smear? Or does it go under an office visit?  The first bill was done with an SO612 with a V72.31 Thank you.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 09:52:19 AM by mmass »


  • Global Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4922
    • Solutions Medical Billing
Re: Billing for an abnormal pap
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 06:46:17 AM »
You would bill for whatever services were performed, the question really is will it be covered.  The first would have been billed as a routine screening pap.  The second pap would be billed with the diagnosis indicating abnormal.  I believe the G code is used for the routine pap and the cpt 88*** would be used for the abnormal.
Sign Up for our FREE Medical Billing Newsletter
Get a 10% discount on Medical Billing Products by using Coupon Code: 10OFF