Author Topic: Mediare Ptan  (Read 1752 times)

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 16
Mediare Ptan
« on: June 25, 2014, 12:34:49 PM »
I am trying to call in to Medicare to get status on why the Diabetic shoe claims are being denied.  The system asks for the Provider Transaction Access Number and
the physician I work for don't know it. Where can I find it?


  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4254
    • One Stop Resources & Networking for Medical Billers
Re: Mediare Ptan
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 03:07:36 PM »
It's the Medicare Issued PTAN. You have to have it to use the IVR (interactive voice response)
Linda Walker
Practice Managers Resource & Networking Community
One Stop Resources, Education and Networking for Medical Billers


  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 493
Re: Mediare Ptan
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 08:35:21 PM »
The PTAN is the number that Medicare assigned to the provider before they went to the NPI number. It used to be called a PIN number. See here:

You can find the PTAN/PIN number by looking at the provider's paperwork they were sent when they enrolled with Medicare. Medicare always sends a letter/packet that provides that number. Alternatively, you can look at EOB's from prior to May of 2008, which is when PTAN's were still listed, if I am not mistaken.

On a side note, if you are calling Medicare Part B for diabetic shoe claim denials, you are calling the wrong place. You want to call your DMERC provider for Medicare, which is a different insurance entirely.


  • Global Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4762
    • Solutions Medical Billing
Re: Mediare Ptan
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 01:49:37 PM »
If you absolutely cannot locate your PTAN, Medicare/DMERC will NOT provide it over the phone.  The provider has to request it in writing on their letterhead.  Medicare/DMERC will mail them a letter with the PTAN.

Sign Up for our FREE Medical Billing Newsletter
Get a 10% discount on Medical Billing Products by using Coupon Code: 10OFF

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 16
Re: Mediare Ptan
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 09:41:50 PM »
Where can I get the phone number to DMERC for Illinois?


  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 176
Re: Mediare Ptan
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 09:36:43 AM »
Go to this website:

Click "Select" on the picture for "Jurisdiction B Medical Equipment (DME)" and on the lefthand yellow menu click "Customer Service" and you will be taken to the page with DME contact info. If you need a more specific department, click the "Mailing Addresses" option in the yellow menu.

If you scroll down on the Customer Service page you will find the Medicare Correspondence Request Form which you can download.

The "Medical Policy Center" is also something I use frequently for research when I'm running into odd Medicare-related issues. The articles here are the most frequently updated and contain rules that only apply to our jurisdiction (so they won't always be found on the CMS website).