Author Topic: NPI TAX IDs  (Read 416 times)


  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 2
« on: February 17, 2018, 04:19:59 PM »
I have been in private practice for awhile but always with other groups.  5 years ago I went off on my own and started my own mental health counseling business. I established it (the business) as an LLC using my individual EIN
Using an individual EIN number and an individual NPI number. After 5 years, and in-network with up to 20 insurance/EAP's companies I am moving to change the individual practice into a group practice adding another licensed therapist.
I'm unsure if I need to establish a new group EIN tax number AND a new NPI - 2 GROUP number.  Or just an NPI or a new tax EIN.
Please help!


  • Global Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4949
    • Solutions Medical Billing
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 10:13:04 AM »
Since you established an LLC with and EIN you should be able to use that as your group legal business name, EIN & NPI.  I'm surprised you used your individual NPI for the LLC though.  I would have thought Medicare would have required you to get a type II NPI for that.  But we have providers who hire others and have their benefits reassigned to them under their SSN and individual NPI.
Sign Up for our FREE Medical Billing Newsletter
Get a 10% discount on Medical Billing Products by using Coupon Code: 10OFF