NPI Numbers > NPI Numbers

Single-member LLC NPI type?

<< < (2/6) > >>

Another question - since I need to apply for both types of NPIs, can I do this online as a single application or will it be 2 separate online applications?


--- Quote from: dekenn on October 04, 2016, 12:43:12 PM ---Actually, you can be a sole proprietor with an EIN and a "doing business as" name and still have a Type 1 NPI. I believe the difference is that you are not incorporated (LLC, corporation, partnership, etc)  in any way. Even a sole proprietor needs an EIN in order to pay employees and submit payroll taxes for those employees and when you register for that, you can create a "doing business as" name without incorporating. It's just a business, not a corporation.
Maybe it depends on what state you're in, we are in NJ and that is how we are set up.

--- End quote ---

That is the point made in the CMS link I provided.  The distinction is based on who gets paid: the human person or the organization.  To quote (from top of Page 5):

National Provider Identifier - What You Need to Know

As a sole proprietor, you may receive only one NPI, just like any other individual. For
example, if a physician is a sole proprietor, the physician may receive only one NPI
(the individual’s NPI). The following factors do not affect whether a sole proprietor is an
Entity Type 1:

Number of different office locations;
Whether you have employees; and
Whether the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) issued an EIN to you so your employees’
W-2 forms can reflect the EIN instead of your Taxpayer Identification Number (which is
your SSN).

NOTE:  A sole proprietor is not an incorporated individual because the sole proprietor did
not form a corporation. If you are a sole practitioner or solo practitioner, it does not necessarily mean you are a sole proprietor, and vice versa.

From the bottom of Page 4:  Individual health care providers may receive NPIs as Entity Type 1. As a sole proprietor, you must apply for the NPI using your own Social Security Number (SSN), not an Employer Identification Number (EIN) even if you have an EIN.


--- Quote from: katyus on October 04, 2016, 04:29:24 PM ---Another question - since I need to apply for both types of NPIs, can I do this online as a single application or will it be 2 separate online applications?
--- End quote ---

Curiousity is a useful attribute.

Page 6 of the link I provided answers your questions.  But here you go:
Print and mail in.  Instructions provided

Not trying to be snarky here - but you really need to learn your own way around this issue.  It will be with you for a long time.  Come back with questions, but do your own research as well.  That would include scanning through links provided in response to your questions.

NPIs are national so the rules are the same in all states.  LLC is an organization and needs a separate type 2 NPI. 

You can register online for both NPI numbers, but you'll have to register separately, once as the individual, and then create an user and register for the LLC.


[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version