Author Topic: Must facilities have a state license to send claim information on a UB04?  (Read 2102 times)


  • Global Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 5846
    • Solutions Medical Billing
Hi Alice, as always, thanks for your help. A representative from a major insurance company told me today that its the law that facilities must have a state license in order to send claim information on a UB04 (UB92) Please advise if you find this information to be accurate. In New York, do facilities require its own license to file on a UB04. I called the Dept of Health a few months ago, and was told that our facility does not need its own license since the doctor has a medical license. A few weeks ago, one of the insurance company reps told me that. Thanks for your help.
Nancy O

Hi Nancy,
Your facility may not require a state license in order to treat patients since you have a doctor with a medical license. However, if the insurance company is reimbursing you as a facility and at the facility rate, they may require you to have a license as a facility. Otherwise they will only treat you as a physician and an office setting.

Sign Up for our FREE Medical Billing Newsletter
Get a 10% discount on Medical Billing Products by using Coupon Code: 10OFF

Medical Billing Forum